Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The "Virtual Village"

Hey all, I know it's been a while...  I woke up this morning laughing and I'm not sure why.  I want to believe that my "lightness of spirit" has to do with where my life is at the moment.  The page... yup, that's it, I don't just "Like it", I "LOVE IT"!!!, has a lot to do with my feelings lately!  I draw so much strength from the spiritual, comedic and heart wrenching posts and scanning the Newsfeed for this awesome fair daily brings a sense of renewal in my heart... I know it's a direct reflection of your awesome words!   Thanks friends, you all truly are a Blessing!

Now, you know there's always a flip side to this thing, right?  Lol, because I'm adding new "friends" daily, reading their statuses gives me a window as to who these people may be, but more importantly, after reading a few of said statuses, I'm not so sure if I WANT to know these people!  Again, because my purpose on facebook is two-fold; 1/3 entertainment, 2/3 I don't just "Like it", I "LOVE IT"!!!, I've become quite the watchdog!  In no way do I liken myself as the "moral police", although I believe in GOD and consider myself to be deeply spiritual; I, like many others, am still a sinner and struggle in my quest to become the person God wants me to be everyday.  

So back to the "watchdog" thing!  Lol, when reposting, if I notice posts that are in desperate need of grammatical, spelling and/or punctuational correction, I fix it. Some posts, in my opinion, are borderline disrespectful/offensive and I don't even consider sharing!  These are the "friends" whose posts I hide from my Newsfeed. But what if it gets a little more complicated?  What if it's a family member or your "real" friends?

A few weeks ago my sweet, beautiful and talented, 17 year old niece posted something that was as innocent as status updates go.  Unfortunately, a facebook friend of hers decided he was going to take what she posted in a different direction and made a rather obscene remark.  Now, doing my "scanning" thing, not only did I read it, I felt compelled to comment on my niece's thread!  In my comment I admonished this young "boy" for being  rude and encouraged my niece to delete it before other family members saw it.  After my comment, I got notification that additional comments had been made.  Of course my niece set that kid straight, or so I thought.  Apparently, a couple of her friends, one of them being the same "boy" who's comment spearheaded the events that followed, found my remarks to be quite humorous.  When I realized a few hours later that she was NOT going to delete the comments, or the entire thread for that matter, I sent her an inbox message.  I thought it was important for me to tell her how incredibly valuable she is and when you ALLOW anyone to devalue you, before you know it, EVERYONE will.  I told her that I love her and because she may not have understood how offensive and disrespectful this young man was actually being to her, I did, and pointing that out to her so she can "check" him was my job and this was the posture she herself, needed to adopt.  Honestly, above and beyond anything I needed her to know I had her back!  But, it  was clear that she didn't have mine.  I came across as the "nosy" Aunt that her friends laughed at because her position was that this boy was only "joking" and that was that.  The status/comments stayed and the only choice I had was to unfriend her.  This wasn't the first time that I "inboxed" her with my thoughts about the impropriety of comments on her page, but it would be the last.

Question; if the "Village" has gone "Virtual", what happens when wisdom and advice is dismissed?  When following-up online simply becomes nothing more than words?  Showing someone has always been a lot more productive than telling them, but how is that possible in this medium?  When the written word has zero impact, is ignored, and even worse, become downright laughable, where do you go from there?  I'm pretty sure that boy would not have thought is was the least bit funny if I was there in the flesh, TRUST ME!  Now, in the case of my niece; being facebook friends is a non-issue, I love her, she'll always be my niece and I will always be here for her.  Whenever she needs advice, she has my number.  However, when she refused to delete the thread (I hear that it has since been deleted) I felt superfluous.  Even online, I had no control and/or influence on her and my opinion didn't matter.  I had to ask myself; was I encroaching or coaching?  I'd like to think it was the latter, but appealing to someone who's main focus and allegiance is to their friends is a difficult task, and, I found out the hard way, more difficult to do online.

She's still a fan of the page and now; because all of you, I don't just "Like it", I "LOVE IT"!!!  helps me reach her and 1300 other people everyday with words of encouragement, inspiration and LOVE.  I know I draw from it and find myself repeating famous quotes, and sometimes not so famous words from you... my friends.  On behalf of my niece I want to thank you all again for the continued support; until the next blog, be well!!!  :-)



I don't just "Like it", I "LOVE IT"!!!  Treat your (minor) children as human beings. Of course, they are not peers or buddies, but they are people. Try to understand their perspective, listen to them, talk to them. Relationship and dialogue are essential, even when they are little. Laugh with them, dream with them, play with them, try to get to know them as they are, and be someone that they will enjoy knowing.  Michael Tyler Smith

I don't just "Like it", I "LOVE IT"!!! In some cases, it might take a village to raise a child, but in most cases it only takes the love of one person in the village.  Michael Anthony Snowden

I don't just "Like it", I "LOVE IT"!!!  I learn something new or see thing from a different perspective everyday... Much thanks to this group and its contributors.  Sweet!*  Tumi Right

I don't just "Like it", I "LOVE IT"!!!  Racquel Mallett Jones  believes when you stop settling for less you'll finally get what you deserve. Never settle for less than you deserve.


I don't just "Like it", I "LOVE IT"!!!  “We are guilty of many errors & many faults but our worst crime is abandoning the children,neglecting the fountain of life. Many of the things we need can wait. The child cannot. Right now is the time his bones are being formed, his blood is being made, & his senses are being developed. To him we cannot answer 'Tomorrow', His name is 'Today.'” ~ Gabriela Mistral, Chilean poet via  Kwame Reina Morris

I don't just "Like it", I "LOVE IT"!!!  ‎"Don't lower your expectations to meet your performance. Raise your level of performance to meet your expectations. Expect the best of yourself, and then do what is necessary to make it a reality." - Ralph Marston via  Lee Fuller  

I don't just "Like it", I "LOVE IT"!!!‎"Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the presence of God no matter what the conflict." ~ Author Unknown via Kwame Reina Morris

I don't just "Like it", I "LOVE IT"!!!  Try to avoid negative people, they are the greatest destroyers of self confidence and self-esteem. Surround yourself with people who bring out the best in you.Healing Heart Counseling Service

I don't just "Like it", I "LOVE IT"!!!  "The Trouble Maker - The problem with speaking your mind is that it can be confused with creating a problem or seeking for one." ~ Vanessa Black via  Kwame Reina Morris

I don't just "Like it", I "LOVE IT"!!!  No one can change a person. But, a person can be the reason someone changes. via  Dwayne Riley Jesus

I don't just "Like it", I "LOVE IT"!!! "No day is wasted in which I touch another person's life in any positive, meaningful way. And so it is that I enrich my days by giving something of myself whether through a warm smile, a kind word, a sympathetic ear, a gentle embrace, or a helping hand."- David L. Weatherford. via  Myckelle Williams

4 comments:

  1. On point..Something to seriously to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the sound of that... Virtual Village! ;) raising responsible adults in this day/age has gotten hard... Well said!

    ReplyDelete