Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Think Back Tuesday... :-)



"... deja vu tell you what I'm gonna do, when they reminisce over you, my God..."  Pete Rock & CL Smooth ~ They Reminisce Over You.


So I went away for the weekend and it turned out to be one of the best little impromptu trips ever!  On the ride home, I listened to Old School Hip Hop and it took me back to the days when it really was that simple; you could either rap or you couldn't.  I listened to the clarity in Main Source's delivery in "Faking the Funk" and couldn't help but apply his raps from almost 20 years ago to what I've been hearing of late.  I also heard KRS1's "Still #1" and there was a part in this record that resonated for me; rap is still in it's infancy and the unfortunate turn it's taken is disrespectful to the Pioneer's of the Game, to the visionaries who made it possible to express ourselves, our culture in this very unique and awesome form.

Question; what exactly happened to true story telling with some jokes thrown in for good measure?  Biggie understood the formula, and before he catapulted to super stardom, he was known in the streets where he lived as an awesome storyteller...  Wanting Big back is just as futile as wanting the "New Shit, new shit, new shit"... (imagine that in an echo, you know the way DJ's announce new music on almost every mix tape out there mostly old and sometimes the new, if that particular DJ is feeling nostalgic) to disappear, it ain't happening!   Anyway, I don't want to fall off the path of this Blog the way so many new rappers have during the past 5 years...

I want to big up everyone out there who is making the music we all want to hear and even the music we don't.  Special shout out to Rock Master Scott and the Dynamic Three, Gangstarr, Nice and Smooth, Positive K, A Tribe Called Quest, Joell Ortiz, hell there are WAAAAAY too many to name!   Drake, Officer Winslow, Lil' Wayne, J-Cole, just to name a few of the more successful dudes in the game right now, understand the legacy from which you came and show some respect every now and again...  :-)  Be well...



I don't just "Like it", I "LOVE IT"!!!   ... Words can be very powerful. Why not use them to lift someone up today rather than knock them down?  Sidney B. Clayton

1 comment:

  1. I'm feeling all of that my dear...Change is always happening and then never happening at the same time...Thank God for music and the music makers.
    S'

    ReplyDelete