Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Choices...

I don't just "Like it", I "LOVE IT"!!!  "When you choose the action, you also choose the consequence."  Sasha Caldwell


So, two of my sisters are very happy with the new men in their lives, and I couldn't be happier for them.   My prayer for them, and their new mates is ever-lasting love, understanding and the presence of God in their respective relationships.  My sisters are beautiful, intelligent black women and although we may not always see eye to eye, the love we have for each other is strong.   


I spoke with one of my sisters recently and, as always, I asked the big question; when are you going to quit smoking?  It's always the same excuse, "I am", "Soon", "I know", etc...  I asked her if the man that's interested in her knew she smoked, and she said no.  I know how she's pulling this off, because up until 2 years and 8 months ago to this day, I smoked cigarettes too.  I would make sure I smoked very early, or after I saw him for the day, I always had breath mints and my travel sized toothbrush along with my travel sized tube of toothpaste and if my boyfriend wanted to "surprise' me with an impromptu visit, I always came up with a reason why that wouldn't work for me.  For almost a year, I thought I was pulling the wool over his eyes, and the fact that he smoked cigars was a blessing; when he'd smoke them in my presence, I'd always ask for a few drags, now I can escape to the bathroom and have a few drags of my cigarette!  When we kissed later that evening, if he smelled or tasted smoke, I'd blame it on his cigar.  But I was not slick, he knew I was smoking and confronted me one day..I promised I'd quit.  


Fast forward 7 months, the relationship is in shambles for reasons other than my smoking, and I'm more stressed than ever.   I can't sleep and begin to smoke more.  When I did fall asleep, I would wake up 45 minutes later in a panic with my sheets drenched from sweat.  For the next 2 months my weight dropped, 20lbs, I still couldn't sleep and my smoking escalated.  The relationship was over and I imagined the obvious, I'm a little down as a result, but I'll be fine.  I'll be fine...


I took my son to our primary care physician Thanksgiving week 2007.  Dr. Kahn took one look at me and asked me about my weight loss immediately.  He asked me if I was getting any rest, if my eyes were bothering me and if I was generally feeling alright.  When we were leaving his office, I wasn't surprised when he asked me if he could take some blood, just to check things out.  I was scared at this point.  When he called me on Thanksgiving day I was terrified.  Thyroid Cancer.  


As a result of the smoking, I also developed TED, thyroid eye disease.  The side affect was that my eyes became bigger and protruded a bit.  Imagine being surprised and you eyes automatically widen.  Well, imagine your eyes in that "surprised" state regularly.  Exactly.  When I was told by my endocrinologist that I had to quit, NOW, it was a no brainer.  After years of smoking I stopped, cold turkey, just like that!  Now, my life style is a healthy one, not because it's the fad, or I'm trying to impress anyone, I'm healthy because at the age of 41, this is the choice that I've made and the consequences are phenomenal!  I breathe deeper, food tastes better, and according to my most recent ex boyfriend, so did I!  ;-)  I'm not saying it's easy; for months after I quit I was still a smoker in all of my dreams and when I'm upset, sometimes the idea of smoking becomes more appealing than actually doing it.  But I don't and I pray that everyone I love who does smoke makes that choice to stop as well.  Honestly?  Smoking is not a good look and I didn't realize how unattractive it was until I stopped and observed other people...  Damn.


I see these horrible commercials on TV about other people and the medical consequences they must live with everyday as a result of smoking and I know that I'm blessed...  So this is for everyone who faces the inability, or the struggle, to quit smoking, drinking, drugging, or just about any other unhealthy addiction you may have that will eventually affect the quality of LIFE you have left... quit.  Get help and like NIKE, just do it...  I love you Sis, you know what you have to do...  Be well everyone.


I don't just "Like it", I "LOVE IT"!!!  "We (& yes I'm including me) live contradictory lives at times so much that we feel simply mentioning God is enough. What I mean is we can go from sex, getting drunk, doing ppl dirty being (or put it n a status), then the next day its back on how God good is. Yeah he always good but we rarely are. Sometimes we all need to just be quiet, stop trying to prove our relationship with him and really get one." Tawni S. Fears


I don't just "Like it", I "LOVE IT"!!! "I am GUILTY of mistakes but INNOCENT of being in denial." Aaron Justice


I don't just "Like it", I "LOVE IT"!!!  "The greatest masterpiece you will ever create is a life lived with purpose." A. R. Bernard


I don't just "Like it", I "LOVE IT"!!!  "Thanks to Mel Hopkins via Positively Positive "The people who challenge you the most, the 'Button Pushers', are actually your spiritual guides who are showing you where you still need to evolve. When you become evolved in that area of your life, you won't have to have those buttons left to push." oooo YES!! shared by  Kim Coles


I don't just "Like it", I "LOVE IT"!!! "---not that long ago was a time called tomorrow. Be careful it's not your yesterday. Live Now!"  Royale Watkins


I don't just "Like it", I "LOVE IT"!!"THE MIRROR CANT LIE TO YOUR EYES, JUS LIKE YA FEARS CANT HIDE WHATS INSIDE..." Kwasi Jones

1 comment:

  1. love it... choosing to live a healthy life style is hard and takes courage; especially when you've been doing what you doing for so long.

    ReplyDelete